Friday, November 30, 2018

Wept, Mourned, and Prayed

Taken from the book of Nehemiah 1:4 out of God's Holy Word ...

Nehemiah had just received words from his brother and the men of Judah about the people, the Jews, who had been taken captive and their walls were broken down and the gates were burned with fire.

Nehemiah writes - "WHEN I heard these words, I sat down and wept, and mourned, for many days; I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven."

Speechless after reading his words ... I cried out to God and confessed - "Father God, has my heart  become so cold that I weep and cry so little over your people ... let alone pray for them like Nehemiah did. Father forgive me ..."

Sought God by asking Him - "LORD why am I NOT brought to tears over these things?"

Remembering the most recent devastation in our country - the wildfires in Malibu,  California.  Assuredly,  I felt sorrow for them. Admittedly,  I prayed ... lightly. Confidently I asked the LORD for my heart to be moved for His people and to pray for them. Weep over them. Fast for them ... if I don't  - WHO will?

The whole purpose to read and study God's WORD is so we can get to know Him and commit to seeking His will for our lives. Learn His character. Praise Him for the great things He has done!

Surely, I was prompted to pray - Psalm 139:23 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful ways in me, And lead me in the everlasting way..."

If you are searching for "the way" to the everlasting - seek Him through His word and prayer. He is Faithful and He promises to reveal Himself to those who earnestly seek Him.

You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

Prayer

My 53 years old idea of praying is tremendously different than my 10-year-old prayers, my 16-year-old prayers, and even my 27-year-old praye...