Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Runners

Years ago when I decided to give my heart and life back to the LORD Jesus, somehow I really thought it would be...maybe a little more tidy. Or maybe a little more glamorous. Rats, if I'm going to be completely honest with you - I totally thought it would be down right safe, neatly kept, pretty in appearance, and all in order. You know -  like a good little Christian would be.  Just so you know - it's been anything but.  Some days it feels like the rug is being yanked out from underneath me. Or maybe an avalanche is chasing me down. Or ... I have felt the sweeping emotion of getting ready to ride right over a water fall. You know. The Niagara Falls kind. And the twist to it all - it can also be the most incredible peace I have ever experienced among the chaos.

To go right along with it all - I am learning in this walk with Christ, a good dose of humility. Sometimes it is just better to bow the knee for heavens sake...if I don't - then there will be a knee bending ceremony - hah! usually in my behalf. And it would usually involve more folks attending than I would ever want... 

Yesterday's discovery is what spurred this post. And ... this is where the humility resides.This week I began - running. Again. There... i said it. RUNNING...Everywhere I turn - the people I love and care about run. I fell in love with the idea at Christmas. You know how it happens right before the Christmas break - walk into a sports store and my level of pride quadrupled and I totally fell head over heels again with it. There is some real freedom experienced during a run. Years ago I used to run when I was in high school. Won a trophy. Yes, why yes I did.  Not a big one. Just a simple sized one.  OK ... so back to my story.  Yesterday I was reminded of some real truths ... and maybe my picture will help.


I don't know about you ... but when I run - it's never a pretty thing. I mean ... to begin with, the fact that I have too many pounds to let go of - should paint a very real and a not so pretty picture that running isn't something I really want to broadcast to everyone - as in "look at me" kind of thing. Don't ever look for a Facebook post or Instagram post displaying my time run, cals. burned, or that type of thing.   Trust me - there is no bling, bling with this runner. I long to be able to wear one of those cute outfits and look normal - as in - a smaller body, a healthy frame and mind - so that I wouldn't mind my picture being taken and posted.  

While running yesterday - it really happened - during my run I witnessed something that I couldn't forfeit the opportunity to take a picture and share with you.  Heaven knows - if I ever become savvy with videotaping via my phone, I just may post a video for you.  Trust me when I say - this was a pure joy moment for me.  At 37 degrees outside, I am wrapped with a cozy head band that was so tight I wondered if my brain could actually function. Thermals. Light wool socks. Running shoes etc.,  And if y'all know anything about me - well I love animals. All kinds.  And just last year - we moved onto some rental property that has been amazing for my soul.  It's land as far as you can see - open wide - on the prairie kind of land.  It has provided the most peaceful landscapes. Amazing sunsets. Breathtaking sunrises. And plenty of me and Jesus alone time. 

So I took off running and I headed towards the back side of the property.  Just beginning to enjoy the peace and serenity of it all. I began forwarding all of my thoughts over to the LORD. Certainly thanking Him for the day, the beautiful scenery, and so on. All of a sudden - I heard
along side the fence - my closest neighbors who just happens to be the cows next door.  Lots of them.  And yes - I love them so. And as you can imagine - the day was closing quickly, I knew I needed to run and then exit quickly so I could resume my trip of errands and then on to take my daughter to gymnastics.  So I'm super charged and in super focus mode and super happy about getting on that path to run ....  and again I heard a really loud charge of huff stomps behind me.  I turned around and looked behind me and all of my best and closest neighbors were running just as fast as they knew how to.  My simple soul was delighted to the moon and back and I laughed for joy. I looked up to the beautiful heavens and threw my head back with really wild and loud laughter. I thought to myself ... HOW MANY TIMES had I came over to the fence and called out to them in that silly, sweet, giddy voice that my daughter finds so very humiliating .... how many times have I pleaded with them to come over and just sniff my hand or have something to do with me.  For over a year - they have ignored me and have continued to eat and walk and play all the while ignoring me. At times I so believed they wanted nothing to do with me.  Until the day they saw me run by them.  It reminded me of some folks in my close circle that I happen to still be believing God for.  How many times have I begged them to take Jesus. How many times have I tried to give Him to them.  All to no avail. I realized yesterday and this week more so, that it wasn't until just this year that I didn't care who knew I was crazy about the man named Jesus. I don't mind posting non-stop about something that I know to be true. I don't mind risking my all because of the one who saved me. Just this year - I have totally decided to run with Him and go where He would have me go.  Just like the run yesterday...it reminded me of the runners in my own circle. They may not come up and take from me when I offer it. They may not act overly excited about my passion for the LORD Jesus as often times as I talk about Him.  But it reminded me of the promises that the LORD has given me in Romans.  Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us... Romans 12:1 Keep running the race. Keep focused. Continue sowing good seeds. One day - they will run too.

This life I am in ... sometimes and many days it feels like a race.  A race to get the food ready. A race to finish the laundry. A race for everything that needs to be done in a certain time frame so that I can get to the next step.  Many times I have been entrapped by sin until this year I staked my claim - #newyear, #newme, #thankyoujesus - because I'm yours. 

Prayer

My 53 years old idea of praying is tremendously different than my 10-year-old prayers, my 16-year-old prayers, and even my 27-year-old praye...